This creamy and thick cheese sauce used for this mac and cheese I originally made for homemade pizzas (minus the turmeric and hot sauce, so it was more of a mozzarella) and it was so so good on pizza I knew it would be just as delicious with good ol’ pasta.
This mac and cheese recipe is:
- oil free
- gluten free (use gluten free pasta)
- HCLF (high carb, low fat)
2.5 cups dry pasta
1 cup unsweetened almond milk or favorite plant milk
1/2 block tofu
3 tbsp tapioca flour/starch
hot sauce to taste
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1 tbsp mustard powder
1 tsp ground turmeric (for color)
salt to taste
- Boil Pasta according to instructions
- Add all the rest of your ingredients to a pot and blend using your immersion blender OR add all ingredients to your blender and transfer to pot.
- Over medium heat keep whisking sauce until thick.
- Add pasta to sauce once drained.
A note: I have never used anything other than tapioca starch for this recipe but I would assume cornstarch would work. Plain flour will not work the same.