Coconut shrimp used to be my JAM (or should I say marmalade?) before I was vegan. I knew I had to veganize it and what better vessel than good ol’ cauliflower? These vegan coconut cauliflower bites are perfect for football sunday as “wings”, in tacos or on top of a salad. With just few simple and wholesome ingredients creates this crunchy and sweet treat.
I paired these bites with a spicy orange marmalade dipping sauce but I’m certain many sauces would pair well. I would be interested to try these with vegan ranch or even apricot marmalade. Yum!
Besides delicious, these coconut cauliflower bites are:
- dairy free
- party food
- appetizer food
- few ingredients
This recipe uses vegan buttermilk. Yep, you read that right.. vegan BUTTERMILK. It is SO easy to make and is the perfect thing to batter cauliflower (and add to pancake batter!) All you need to make vegan buttermilk is 1 cup of almond or soy milk and 1 tbsp vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar). You let that sit for 5-10 minutes and it turns into a thick, creamy milk.
1/2 head of cauliflower
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup flour (any kind)
1 cup soy milk (or any plant milk, unsweetened)
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
vegetable oil for shallow pan frying
sauce: orange marmalade + 1 tbsp hot sauce (optional)
- Wash & chop up your cauliflower into bite size pieces.
- In bowl #1 combine your soy milk and vinegar. Stir and let this sit for 5-10 minutes until thickened (This creates vegan buttermilk!)
- In bowl #2 combine your panko bread crumbs, coconut flakes and salt.
- In bowl #3 add your flour.
- To a frying pan on medium heat add your oil until your pan is filled half-way. Let this heat up. To test if it is accurate frying temperature take a wooden spoon and stick in the oil. If it bubbles slightly, it is likely ready to fry.
- Dip your cauliflower pieces in first your flour, then buttermilk, and next coconut/panko mixture. Add to your oil and fry until golden brown, flipping once. When finished frying, add to paper-toweled lined plate to drain excess oil.
- For dipping: Mix together orange marmalade and hot sauce
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS RECIPE YOU MAY LIKE THESE: