I think I may have discovered the best invention ever. PRE-PRESSED TOFU. It is already pressed, drained and ready for you to slice up and prepare as you desire. One thing I can not stand is squishy tofu which is why I was over the moon to find it at my local grocer (publix). The brand is Nasoya and if you can find it I would recommend stocking up! It was the same price as the regular tofu but without the added step of pressing the tofu yourself… sold!
So when you find the most perfect pressed tofu, what do you do? Well you bread it in cornflakes and fry it of course. I prefer to have my tofu taste similar to chicken so I add poultry seasoning to my batter but that is of course optional. This crispy and crunchy tofu would go perfectly on top of a salad or in tacos. I tossed my tofu in BBQ sauce but any sauce would do. My husband has already put in a request for a buffalo sauce version.
(will make 3-4 wraps)
- 1/2 block of extra firm pressed tofu
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups cornflakes
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- A few tbsp of oil for frying
- Tortilla wraps
- BBQ Sauce
- Wrap fillings: lettuce, onions, carrots
- In a frying pan on medium heat add a few tbsp of oil (I used coconut oil)
- In bowl #1 whisk together your 1/2 cup non-dairy milk, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tsp poultry seasoning and 2 tbsp flour
- In bowl #2 add your 1/2 cup flour
- In bowl #3 add your corn flakes and with your hand crush up the cereal to a finer crumb
- Slice up your tofu into “fingers” and dip first in the wet mixture (bowl #1), then dry (bowl #2), then wet again (bowl #1), then corn flakes (bowl #3)
- Place your breaded tofu into the oil and fry until crispy and golden.
- Toss your fried tofu pieces in your BBQ sauce and assemble your wraps
I served these wraps with some oil free potato chips (recipe here). What is your favorite thing to put in a wrap?!
Pin this recipe for later: